Monday, February 4, 2008

Sirens!

Hi ya'll!
So this morning, I was standing in my kitchen washing dishes...
And the deafening emergency sirens went off! I'm like "What?" And then it hit me... Tornado!

I, like every calm, level-headed, smart person does when unexpected sirens go off, panicked. I'm like "Oh, no! I've got to hide! Tornado! I need to grab the ferrets and hide... where?" (Yes, even in times of crisis, I think of my boys...)

"Maybe I should find out if it is a tornado!" So, I ran into the computer room to check the weather forecast... genius, I know. The weather forecast was fine. We have a fire advisory, but that's it! So then I'm like... "well, isn't it like cloudy and stormy looking if there's a tornado? The skies are completely blue." So then I went outside to see if I could see any threatening cyclones coming closer. I saw blue skies all around and my neighbors standing outside smoking, not looking worried in the least.

I'm like "hmmm... Maybe they're testing the sirens?" Yup. The Wichita Falls website says that they test the sirens once a month. I read that when we first moved here. But I've lived here for 3 1/2 months now, and this is the first siren I've heard! At least I now know what they sound like!

Oh, and bonus! Even though, theoretically, these sirens aren't supposed to be loud enough to be heard inside houses, I'm fairly certain I'll never miss the siren going off! It's so incredibly loud! I'm on top of a hill, surrounded by sirens. Wow. Loudness!

I've calmed back down now, but... it's still terrifying! I've gotta tell ya, my biggest concern about moving to Texas was the tornadoes... And now it's tornado season (roughly)! Hurray! We'll see how I do with the siren next month.


Oh and just by the way, we've achieved a new record today! Our weather did anyway... We hit a new record high today of 86. :)

3 comments:

Lancaster's said...

ROFL....I'm sorry...but it's worth a chuckle. I'm all to familiar with these sirens you speak of. lol At first they are a little terrible on the heart but I'm sure as most the rest of the city will tell you: You'll get used to them and soon think nothing of them...almost to the point that if there was a tornado you might forget to look outside and check to see if the warning is right or not. lol Poor Dani I can picture you going through that! I wonder if the neighbor noticed you were panicked?

Chandra said...

Oh my gosh! I would have done the exact same thing, down by my sisters house there are sirens for tsunamis. I've never heard them before but can you imagine the panic!!!!? Yes you can!

Bradbury Bunch said...

I love your posts Dani! It's like I can hear you saying the story, like you're right beside me! Esspecially when you say HURRAY! You really make me laugh!!! Good luck with those sirens...makes you wonder if they've ever given anybody a heart attack...I'm glad you turned out okay!!