Monday, January 11, 2010

Brrr...

It's been cold here for like the last week. Really cold! As in 24 degrees outside when Hal went to work this morning at 7 am. This might not seem really cold to some of you, but for Houston? BRRR!!!

So, this morning, as I was scraping Hal's car windows... no, unfortunately for him, I don't usually do this, but I took out the trash this morning, and thought, "today's the day I do something helpful!" So, I scraped the ice off. And it was cold.
Anyways, as I was scraping Hal's car windows, I noticed my neighbor come out of his house with a pail of water, and fling the water onto the side of his car. And it made me think... I bet that works! No scraper needed! Genius!
But... wouldn't the water run down below the seals on the windows, and as cold as it is, freeze again, inside the car door? That seems slightly unsmart! You don't want inside the car door to freeze! Right? Or would it run down? I know when it rains a lot, water will go down in the door, but just a little water? Would that go down? Hmmm...
Dousing your icy windows in water to get the ice off... Good idea? Bad idea? I've been thinking about it all day, and have yet to come up my answer. Anybody?

Hopefully it'll warm up again soon. I really thought I was done with this freezing weather when we got back from Idaho! Brrrr!

1 comment:

Paxton said...

I know that if you toss hot water on your frozen wind shield it can crack the glass... or make it easier to crack in the future. Also it may get the frostiness off your wind shield, but if it's really cold, it will freeze in a sheet of ice on your wind shield that will take LONGER to scrape off.
Unfortunately the best way to de-ice your wind shield is using the defroster in the car, or scrapping it off.
:-)